Downtown Girard announces establishment of new grant program
and continuation of existing façade grant program
GIRARD, PA (November 9, 2022) – Downtown Girard, in partnership with Girard Borough, is pleased to announce the continuation of its façade improvement grant program, which assists property owners in fixing up the street-facing sides of their buildings, as well as the creation of a new grant program – the Interior/Structural Improvement Grant Program.
The new grant program is the first of its kind for Girard.
The borough has high hopes for the new Interior/Structural Improvement Grant Program, which is intended to support projects that rehabilitate, restore, or preserve historic resources in the downtown to enhance the vibrancy of the central business district. Specific examples of fundable project work include concrete (excludes sidewalk replacement/repair), masonry, structural metal restoration or replacement, architectural woodwork and millwork, roofing, flashing, waterproofing, insulation, door and window repair and restoration, plumbing, fire protection systems, heating and cooling, electrical systems, and accessibility improvements. Priority will be given to projects utilizing proper preservation techniques and materials.
Commercial buildings within the designated downtown boundary, which is Main Street from the east borough line (just west of Westgate Drive) to Old Ridge Road, and Rice Avenue from Main Street to the borough line, are eligible for these grant funds. Property owners, as well business owners, are encouraged to apply for the grants.
These grants will be made on a 75/25 matching basis. Girard Borough will provide up to 75% of the project cost as a grant with the remaining 25% of the cost being the property/business owner’s responsibility. The maximum grant awarded will be $10,000 for façade projects and $20,000 for interior/structural projects.
The deadline for applicants to apply is January 31, 2023.
Rob Stubenbort, Girard Borough Manager, emphasizes that priority will be given to projects utilizing proper preservation techniques and materials. “An example would be the repair rather than the replacement of historic windows”, he noted. Among the other categories of work eligible for grants are mortar re-pointing, gutter replacement, repainting of exterior elements, chimney repair and flashing, and cornice repair.
Both grant programs are being funded by a two-year Mission Main Street grant from the Erie County Gaming Revenue Authority awarded to Downtown Girard in October 2022.
For additional information, or to request the guidelines and applications for these grant programs, visit the borough’s website at girardborough.com or contact Rob Stubenbort, Girard Borough Manager at (814) 774-9683 x 203 (office), (814) 392-4169 (cell), or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org